Recent Reads

I can't believe I haven't done a Recent Reads post since November 8, 2016, but that's the case. 

The Last Step:  The American Ascent of K2 by Rick Ridgeway (1980).  Considered a "mountaineering classic," about the first successful attempt on K2 by a team of American climbers in 1978, I'm really surprised that I had a hard time reading this book.  I just couldn't ever get into the flow, and I didn't look forward to reading every night in the way I usually do.  I still think this is one of the books you need to read if you want to learn more about the dynamics of teams, especially ones with strong, varied personalities in life-on-the-edge situations.

Trapped by Alison Aimes (2015).  In this sci-fi romance, Bella West and her colleagues, both scientists and military, crash on a prison planet while trying to look for a way to save the people on a dying earth.  When deserted by the surviving military members, Bella makes an agreement to exchange "anything" with one of the prisoners if he protects Bella and her two surviving scientist colleagues from the prisoners and other creatures on his planet.  Kind of a rocky start to an interesting relationship.  First book by the author.

Mischling by Affinity Konar (2016).  Mischling is the word used to describe people of mixed Aryan and Jewish ancestry during Hitler's Third Reich.  Pearl and Stasha are fictional twins used to tell the very real, very horrific story of what happened to the children forced to participate in Josef Mengele's experiments in Auschwitz.  What happens when one of the twins disappears?  What happens when the concentration camp is liberated by the Russians, and the remaining sister is left to travel through a war-torn world with a boy who also lost his twin?  This story is one that will stay with me, particularly since writing a fictional account based on something sacred to so many people takes a strong talent.

Comments

Limner said…
Maria! Hey. Knowing other letter writers enjoy reading makes me very happy. When I started OWM I believed 99% of the world read, and enjoyed reading as much as I do. A book store is one of my favorite places to be aside from our home. I was disappointed and shocked when I had to admit hardly anyone I know reads. So, when I see someone's list of "books read" in a blog post I get all happy. I just know we'll have read some of the same books! I'm wrong 98% of the time. But that doesn't bother be much. I'm consoled when I seei tangible proof that readers still exist. Thanks for sharing your titles.

Be well.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!