Recent Reads

Chestnut Street by Maeve Binchy (2014).  After her death, Binchy's husband compiled her unpublished pieces written over several decades into this collection.  Such a lovely, unexpected chance to have just a little bit more of Binchy's magic.  Bittersweet, just like many of the stories.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012).  Maya and I just finished reading this one together after going to the movie, which is faithful to the overall story, though different in some of the particulars.  Just like when I read the book on my own and saw the movie, I cried through most of the story about a girl with a terminal illness and her relationships with her parents and the new boy in her life.  Favorite quote in the story, "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you."  I think we all need that reminder sometimes.

A Prince to be Feared:  The Love Story of Vlad Dracula by Mary Lancaster (2013).  Just for the record, there are no vampires in this work of historical fiction.  With the actual historical record on Vlad the Impaler slightly vague in terms of specifics, Lancaster does a nice job of creating a dynamic, fascinating man in Vlad, especially as seen through the eyes of Ilona, the (at least in this work) love of his life, as they alternate between 1474 and 1454.

Bastian's Storm by Shay Savage (2014).  I seem to either really like or intensely dislike Savage's books.  No middle ground.  I'm pretending this long-awaited, at least by me, sequel to Surviving Raine, one of my all-time favorite books, was never written. 

Have you read anything of interest lately?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures