May 29, 2014

Maya Angelou, 4/4/1928-5/28/2014

My daughter is named after Maya Angelou, and I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes from her with you since she died yesterday.

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

"Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud."

"Achievement brings its own anticlimax."

"I could fall in love with a Sumo wrestler if he told stories and made me laugh.  Obviously, it would be easier if someone was African-American and lived next door and went to the same church.  Because then I wouldn't have to translate."

"There's a world of difference between truth and facts.  Facts can obscure the truth."


"I don't think there's such a thing as autobiographical fiction.  If I say it happened, it happened, even if only in my mind."

"And if a person is religious, I think it's good, it helps you a bit.  But if you're not, at least you can have the sense that there is a condition inside you which looks at the stars with amazement and awe."
  
"At 50, I began to know who I was.  It was like waking up to myself."

"I long for the time when all human history is taught as one history, because it really is."

"It's still scary every time I go back to the past.  Each morning, my heart catches.  When I get there, I remember how the light was, where the draft was coming from, what odors were in the air.  When I write, I get all the weeping out."

"In all my work, I try to say--'You may be given a load of sour lemons, why not try to make a dozen lemon meringue pies?'"

1 comment:

Limner said...

What a lovely tribute. Your Maya is beautiful. Ms Angelou helped me begin my journey to self-discovery with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. She lived fully, discovered truths about life and shared them lovingly.

Thanks for honoring her.