Recent Reads

A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy (2013).  Highly Recommended.  This made for a bittersweet read for me, as Binchy, one of my favorite authors, died in 2012.  If you enjoy her books, this is vintage Binchy.  If you haven't read anything by her before, The Scarlet Feather and Circle of Friends are my all-time favorites.  Her characters leap off of the page, and I appreciate even the ones I don't particularly like.

The Ogre of Oglefort by Eva Ibbotson (2012).  Highly Recommended by Maya.  I think I enjoyed this particular book just as much as Maya.  A hodge-podge group of characters head to save Princess Mirella from the ogre, yet the princess is exactly where she wants to be.  What will the members of the group learn about themselves and their place in the world during their epic adventure?

Ivan and Dimitri by Roxie Rivera, first two installments of the Her Russian Protector series (2013).  Highly Recommended.  Dangerous, Alpha males doing their best to help the women they love during dark times.  Erin meets Ivan when she seeks his assistance with locating her sister, who is in deep trouble with drugs and the target of more than one group of local thugs.  About to lose her bakery and also dealing with her troubled younger brother, Benny finds help from Dimitri, who rents a place above the bakery only to be close to her.  Steamy and entertaining, I look forward to the next book in the series.

What have you been reading lately?

Comments

Becky said…
I've been reading my way through books by Emilie Richards. She has a quilt series, a wife-of-a-minister series, a series set in Florida, and I'm currently finishing up the second in the Whiskey River series: _The Parting Glass._ Her characters are hard-working and upstanding folk. Some romance, some mystery although I wouldn't really call them in the mystery genre.
Limner said…
Yes! Another Maeve fan. :) I wrote to her after her third book. She wrote back. :))) Her handwriting is awful. LOL I cherished it even more because of it. I think I've read all of her books except for the most recent release. "Minding Frankie." Have you read it? It's not a favorite but I think I still have it.

Do you know if her Gordon is still living?
Becky, some romance with some mystery sounds like a combination I'd enjoy. I need to add Emilie Richards to my list. Thank you!

Limner, I did read (and enjoy) Minding Frankie. I don't think I've read anything by Binchy that I didn't enjoy, though I definitely liked some better than others. Yes, Gordon Snell is still living and writing. They seemed to have a very good relationship, so I imagine he's missing her a great deal now.
Becky said…
Maria -- I mislabeled one of the series (should have said Whiskey Island), but her website has all her books listed. She also has an extensive blog, which I've not read much of!
The romance is pretty low-key; I wouldn't put her in the same boat with Linda Lael Miller. I really liked the Shenandoah Album series (quilts) and her Ministry is Murder series... that one, particularly, is definitely in the mystery genre. The Whiskey Island books have the most romance, IMO.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!