Maeve Binchy, 1940-2012

I'm so sad about Maeve Binchy's death last week.  I remember being so excited after watching the movie Circle of Friends to learn that a book version existed first.  I quickly read everything else in print by her, and she became an instant automatic-read author for me because of her subjects--relationships, learning to live with the hand you're dealt in life, and Ireland.

A taste of why I like her so much:

"I don't have ugly ducklings turning into swans in my stories.  I have ugly ducklings turning into confident ducks."

"I believe very, very strongly that everybody is the hero/heroine of his/her own life.  I try to make my characters kind of ordinary, somebody that anybody could be.  Because we've all had loves, perhaps love and loss, people can relate to my characters."

"You can't lay down laws for what people think and hope."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures