This and That

I'm really enjoying October so far. Autumn is my favorite time of the year--leaves changing colors on the trees, cool evenings and crisp mornings, fresh apples and apple cider, visits to the pumpkin patch, Halloween and Thanksgiving, October as National Medical Librarians' Month, and my favorite college football team back in action.

Okay, my Nebraska Cornhuskers devastating loss (17-48) in their conference opener against the Wisconsin Badgers on Saturday hurt. That's one football game that left me with a sick feeling in my stomach, though I did appreciate seeing Badgers' quarterback Russell Wilson play like a dream. Sort of--as much as I could while watching my team disintegrate, anyway.

Sigh.

My friend and pen pal Dana over at Save Snail Mail wrote a post about a couple of petitions involving snail mail at Whitehouse.gov. Each petition needs to reach 5,000 signatures in order to be seen by the Obama Administration. This petition involves refunding the pension overpayments in order to get the USPS budget in balance, and the 5,000 signatures must be obtained by October 26. This petition seeks to preserve six-day mail delivery, and the 5,000 signatures must be obtained by October 29. Please consider signing one or both petitions if you're an American citizen, and, as Dana noted, pass the word. Thank you!

If you're looking for a 2012 calendar, I want to suggest the Men of the Stacks calendar. The proceeds go to the It Gets Better project, dedicated to showing LGBT youth "the levels of happiness, potential, and positivity their lives will reach – if they can just get through their teen years," and Mr. January happens to be originally from Lincoln, where I live.

What's new with you this October?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!