Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick

From the preface of Nathaniel Philbrick's Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War (2006):

We all want to know how it was in the beginning. From the Big Bang to the Garden of Eden to the circumstances of our own births, we yearn to travel back to that distant time when everything was new and full of promise.

While I don't particularly want to really travel back in time to live in Plymouth Colony, reading about the lives of the early settlers, as told by Philbrick, is fascinating. He covers about fifty-five years of history between the Pilgrims and the Native American tribes in the area, including King Philip's War, while providing insight into the lives of legends like William Bradford and Miles Standish.

If you have a strong interest in early American history, this book should be fascinating for you. If you don't really have a strong interest in the subject, you probably don't want to read a book this in-depth.

My overall personal rating of Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick is a B+.

Comments

sapphireblue said…
I love history. I'll have to read it.
Carrie said…
I have this book buried in my TBR tubs. Your review may have me pulling it out soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!