The Bookman's Wake by John Dunning

The Bookman's Wake by John Dunning (1995), the second in the Cliff Janeway series, is another book my mom gave to me to read.

Janeway, a former Denver cop who becomes a bookseller, is pulled into a mystery by a former associate who snags his interest with the reference to the possible existence of a specialty press edition of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven. Supposedly, all Janeway has to do is go to Seattle to retrieve a fugitive named Eleanor Rigby for return to New Mexico for criminal prosecution, giving him access to Rigby and her knowledge of the edition.

Dunning creates an intriguing read about family, pride, and how the secrets of the past come to light. I had no idea where this book was heading, but I certainly enjoyed the rambling route of the story and Dunning's creation of Janeway's intelligent, down-to-earth, snarky voice. I plan to explore the rest of the series in the future.

My overall personal rating of The Bookman's Wake is a B+.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!