The Attack by Yasmina Khadra

My first blog post about a book in way too long is on the fictional The Attack by Yasmina Khadra, pen name for Algerian-born author Mohammed Moulessehoul, (2005 in the original French, translated to English by John Cullen in 2006).

Arab-Israeli surgeon Amin Jaafari, a prominent physician in Tel Aviv, is told his wife, Sihem, is responsible for a suicide bombing that killed seventeen people, including many children. He knows that can't be true, that Sihem is actually one of the victims.

Then Amin receives the letter Sihem sent to him the day before the attack.

On Amin's subsequent search for the truth about the wife he thought he knew, the reader sees a man's life completely unravel against the backdrop of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. The ending, which I didn't see coming until it slammed into me, isn't ever going to leave me.

See this author interview on Blogcritics to learn more about Khadra.

My overall rating of The Attack is an A. I'm off to read Khadra's The Swallows of Kabul next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!