The Heiress

I just watched The Heiress (1949), starring Olivia de Havilland (guaranteed a lasting spot in film history through her role as Melanie in Gone with the Wind), Ralph Richardson (ditto for his role as Alexander in Doctor Zhivago), and Montgomery Clift (born in Omaha, Nebraska, about 50 miles from where I live). I vividly remembered the ending from an earlier viewing--long ago, when I was probably way too young to really appreciate the movie.

Richardson plays the wealthy, arrogant Dr. Sloper, with de Havilland as his daughter and only heir, Catherine. They shine in their roles, and the movie is really about their relationship. Clift, who is always pretty and elegant, does well enough as Morris Townsend, a fortune-hunter who turns his eyes to courting Catherine.

My favorite line from the move comes from de Havilland:

He's [Morris] grown greedier over the years. Before he only wanted my money; now he wants my love as well. Well, he came to the wrong house - and he came twice. I shall see that he does not come a third time.

I can't recommend The Heiress highly enough if you enjoy movies about relationships and character development.

Comments

sapphireblue said…
I love Olivia de Haviland, but I have never seen that movie. Will have to look for that one.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures