Such a Pretty Face by Cathy Lamb

[Full disclosure--This review is based on an e-book I borrowed from another reader.]

Such a Pretty Face by Cathy Lamb (2010) starts with a jolting moment in time. Young Stevie barely survives when her mentally ill mother kills herself and Stevie's younger sister, Sunshine.

Fast-forward to a Stevie who is now 35 and just beginning to face the guilt and denial of decades. In a sense, her true life is just beginning after surgery and a subsequent 170-pound weight loss. She's finally ready to face the truth about what happened with her mother and her life with her aunt afterwards.

Honestly, I just couldn't get into this book at all. Yes, Stevie grew and changed, but I had to wonder why she didn't realize years earlier that her aunt's husband, a one-dimensional bad guy, did something incredibly wrong. I also felt all the adults around her as a child let her down horribly, before and after her mother and sister's deaths, in a way that read like emotional manipulation of the reader.

I'm glad I borrowed the book because I won't be reading this one again.

My overall personal rating of Such a Pretty Face is a C-.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!