Ecstasy by Jacquelyn Frank

The description from the author's site for Ecstasy, the first book in the Shadowdwellers series from Jacquelyn Frank (2008):

"After a terrifying car crash, Ashla Townsend wakes up to find that the bustling New York she knew is now eerie and desolate. Just when she’s convinced she’s alone, Ashla is confronted by a dark warrior who draws her deeper into a world she never knew existed. The bond between Ashla and Trace is a mystery to both, but searching for answers will mean confronting long-hidden secrets, and uncovering a threat that could destroy everything Trace holds precious. . . ."

If you're more into science fiction than romance and enjoy reading lots of detailed world-building, this might be the book for you. I'm more into romance and dialogue and relationship-building (not just the romantic relationship), so this story failed to capture my attention. I found myself skimming lots of sections in order to just be done.

A slight warning--if I actually cared about the story, the ending is one that would trigger the need to immediately find the second book in the, to date, three-book series. Being left hanging is one of my pet peeves about potential pitfalls with reading a series.

My overall personal rating of Ecstasy is a C.

[There are currently four entries in the drawing to win The Secret Year. Please comment here for your entry. Each comment made between July 25 and July 31 equals an entry, with one entry per person per blog posting, please. Open to international visitors, too.]

Comments

ZoĆ« said…
yikes, this book is definitely not for me! sad to hear it wasn't a good fit for you either. I really hate incomplete endings to books in series, so annoying! if it's a good book I'll pick up the next one regardless of whether or not they've left it on an absurd cliffhanger.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!