More on Flooding in the Area


If you know the Omaha, Nebraska/Council Bluffs, Iowa, area, this is the point where I-680 and I-29 meet, as seen on June 12, 2011. My first cousin sent me this photo, and I don't know who the photographer happens to be.

In response to StephanieD's comment on my earlier posting, what I've heard up to this point is one death, a man working on the levee, and my deepest sympathies go out to his loved ones. People with homes and businesses impacted, including the entire town of Hamburg, Iowa, (population 1100) had notice enough to leave.

On a slightly lighter note, a young woman who called into one of the Omaha radio stations while I was listening said she spent a weekend helping her parents load a U-Haul with their personal belongings and remove hay from their barn. Her comment to them after finishing (slightly paraphrased), "You need to get rid of some of this stuff before next time, or we're just going to have to light a fire and burn it all instead of moving it." A sense of humor always helps in difficult situations.

We're fine, fortunately, and just thinking of people in areas around us. Lincoln, where we live, isn't on the Missouri River or the Platte River, which is also having problems. Buffalo Bill Ranch in North Platte, Nebraska, for example, is closed due to flooding from the Platte River.

Comments

Claudia said…
Oh wow! I don't watch the news so I don't even know what's going on but thanks goodness you're fine!

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!