Crow Lake by Mary Lawson


[Full disclosure: I read a copy of this book obtained from the Nebraska Library Commission's book club kit collection.]

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson (2002) is the June selection for my book club at work.

From the vantage point of adulthood, Kate looks back at the way her family's life altered forever when she was seven. Her parents died in a car accident, and her oldest brother, Luke, gave up his scholarship for college--and the chance to leave their rural Canadian (Ontario) lifestyle--to raise Kate and eighteen-month-old Bo, along with the help of seventeen-year-old Matt.

Even though you might expect the story to revolve around tragedy and grief, I see this more as a story about relationships (among family and also the members of the community who step forward to help the four siblings) and the role of expectations in our lives. A central part of the story is the relationship between Kate and Matt, and how her hero worship shatters when she thinks he "wastes" his life.

Adult Kate is a little enclosed for my taste, but I enjoyed reading the overall story and many of the specific lines.

I leave you with a quote I liked from the book: Tomorrow is forever, and years pass in no time at all. (page 5)

My overall personal rating of Crow Lake is a B.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!