Bridesmaids

I went to see Bridesmaids, which my local movie critic raved about and called the best movie of the summer, yesterday, and, well, I'm feeling my age now.

Basically, Annie's (Kristen Wiig) life is self-destructing--failed business, job she hates, no real boyfriend, jerk of a booty call buddy, and truly depressing living arrangements--at the same time her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) becomes engaged. Sounds more depressing than comedic, right?

There are some laughs, so I don't feel that I wasted my time, but there's also a lot I didn't find funny that was certainly meant to be. There just seemed to be a lot of self-centered, disrespectful to other people behavior happening. Let's just ask, would you go on a rampage at your best friend's bridal shower, destroying food and decorations, because another bridesmaid stole the theme idea from you? How is that funny???

Melissa McCarthy, playing the sister of the groom and one of the bridesmaids, totally steals every scene in which she has a part, which isn't anywhere near frequently enough. She's not only completely hilarious, but she also has a line that's a shout-out to libraries and where being the "smart girl" gets you in life.

Overall, though, I'm going to be in the minority on this one and not a big fan.

Have you seen Bridesmaids? What did you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!