Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler


After watching Chelsea Lately a few times (definitely less than ten) and always finding a reason or two to laugh, I decided to try reading one of her books. With the title play on one of my favorite books back in my younger days, I decided to go with Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea (2008).

Huge mistake. I didn't laugh, not even once, while reading the book. I cringed a few times, though I expected to do that because Handler seems pretty irreverent and equal-opportunity snarky on the episodes I've caught of her show.

I also kept turning back to the cover. Who approved this photo? She's a lovely woman, and this photo bugs me because (a) it doesn't look like her and (b) the open mouth looks silly. If you're beautiful, shouldn't you aim for photos that look like yourself for your books?

Has anyone read anything else by Handler? Is there something you considered at least relatively funny that I should try?

Comments

sapphireblue said…
I used to watch her show, but it was more crude than funny.
Claire said…
i've never heard of her! x
Keli said…
Shon loves her show...maybe she should read the book and give you HER opinion?!? I personally have seen MAYBE 20 minutes of like 4 differant shows...so I can't say I am really impressed.
Definitely agree on the crude part, sapphireblue.

Maybe that's good, Claire, because I can't say you're missing much.

I'll get the book to you on Friday, Keli. Maybe Shon will see something I don't!
Leesh said…
I read her other book, My Horizontal Life which was much more funnier than this book.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures