The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn


I'm a woman; in so many ways, I've been programmed to please. I took the job and spent time hunkered over figures, budgets, charts, and fiscal-year projections. I tried, but I hated it.

"Working at a job you don't like is the same as going to prison every day," my father used to say. He was right. I felt imprisoned by an impressive title, travel, perks, and a good salary. On the inside, I was miserable and lonely, and I felt as if I was losing myself. I spent weekends working on reports no one read, and I gave presentations that I didn't care about. It made me feel like a sellout and, worse, a fraud.


Taken from p.8 of Kathleen Flinn's The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School (2007).

The title pretty much summarizes the memoir. At age 36, American journalist/writer Flinn attends Le Cordon Bleu Paris after losing her soul-crushing London job. Throw in her friend-turned-more-than-friend, the international flavor of the students attending the school, and Flinn's breezy writing style, and you have an entertaining read about taking a chance and living the life you're meant to live.

Flinn includes a few recipes in her book, and she directs readers to her online site, which is quite nice, for yet more recipes. I'm a very picky eater, and even some of the more adventurous recipes actually sounded tempting to me. Will I actually make them? Probably not, though I enjoyed looking through them and considering the possibilities.

My overall personal rating of The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry is a B+.

Comments

heidenkind said…
Is it a sign that I book blog too much that the title immediately reminded me of The Knife of Never Letting Go?

This sounds like a great, fun read! I will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!