The Help by Kathryn Stockett


If a controversial discourse means success in a book club discussion, I hit the lottery with Kathryn Stockett's The Help (2009) as the second selection for my work book club.

Set in the early 1960s in Jackson, Mississippi, The Help covers the story of three women who come together across the racial divide. Recently returned from college, white Skeeter starts a project to compile the stories of black maids, including Aibileen and Minnie.

Overall, I can't say I particularly enjoyed reading the book, especially as Skeeter seemed under-developed while some of the vernacular used for other characters rang as insulting. Skeeter's dialogue certainly wasn't presented with any kind of identifiable Southern accent, so why the effort to give others a very definitive accent?

We certainly had a lively book discussion, though, centered around racism!

My overall personal rating of The Help is a C+.

Comments

The Pen Thief said…
The book club here at work was just talking about this book. There is still a long list for it here so I will wait to read it, but it definitely sounds good!
sapphireblue said…
I don't have a desire to read it although it seems to be very popular.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!