Popular Books Disliked Personally

The great point about books and reading is there is definitely something for everyone, and individual taste, viewpoint, and life experience bring a lot to the reader's interaction with an author's work.

Still, there happen to be a few books that turn into publishing phenomenons, even in this day with a seemingly-limitless number of reading choices available.

Are there any popular books or series in a genre you normally enjoy reading that you just didn't like personally?

Here's a short list that comes to mind for me:

1--The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. My best friend, along with seemingly 98% of the rest of romance readers, loves this series. On the surface, this is something I should also enjoy--time travel, nice chemistry between the hero and heroine, and a sweeping saga.

I did enjoy the first book well enough. Then the second book has a (something like) 20-year jump from the first book. Um, no, thank you, anyway, despite my friend's efforts to rationalize the time gap for me.

Full disclosure--I never made it past reading the early part of the second book.

2--Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I can't even count the number of people (okay, women) who told me reading this book caused serious life-perception changes. And, of course, Oprah's a fan.

I just couldn't relate to Gilbert. The story just seemed too "me, me, me." I don't know if I expected more from a journey of self-enlightenment or just didn't care for Gilbert, at least as she presents herself in the book.

3--The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Another one of my best friend's favorite reads, I just couldn't get into this book at all.

Main reason? The creepiness factor of having him appear to her as a little girl. Did she ever even have a chance to form a relationship with someone other than him? Too close to the (disgusting) thought of catching them while they're young and raising them up the way you want them to be.

What about you?

Comments

sapphireblue said…
That Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is not on my "to read" list, but I've seen it's gotten a lot of hype.

I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, and so far, that books is worth the hype. Very good. Very eye-opening.
Good mention, sapphireblue.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures