This and That

Anyone have any suggestions for good books to read for discussion groups? I just started an e-mail discussion group for the hospital where I work. Our first (and current) selection is Nancy Pickard's The Scent of Rain and Lightning. Next, we'll read The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

We tried having a book club where we held discussions over lunch, but that quickly fizzled because people couldn't get away from their work obligations to meet. Having only two or three people at a discussion just doesn't generate enough conversation. I'm hoping for success with the e-mail format, plus allowing six full weeks for each book.

Wish us luck, please!

Bad news, as reported by the Wall Street Journal here, for those of us addicted to personal mail:

Beginning in March, the agency [the USPS] will start the process of closing as many as 2,000 post offices, on top of the 491 it said it would close starting at the end of last year. In addition, it is reviewing another 16,000—half of the nation's existing post offices—that are operating at a deficit, and lobbying Congress to allow it to change the law so it can close the most unprofitable among them. The law currently allows the postal service to close post offices only for maintenance problems, lease expirations or other reasons that don't include profitability.

According to the same article, the USPS lost $8.5 billion in fiscal year 2010.

I worry about facing a day when there's no longer snail mail delivery.

Comments

sapphireblue said…
There was talk about stopping Saturday delivery. I wonder if that is still on the table.
I keep hoping they don't drop the Saturday delivery, but I know that's the route the leaders at the USPS are hoping to go. If they can ever get approval, they will implement the change. I'm assuming it will happen at some point. Sigh.
StephanieD said…
I love snail mail - getting postcards and greeting cards, although no letters anymore. And books, I adore getting books in the mail.
Violet said…
Thats a very good initiative. I can't suggest anything but Good Luck!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures