This and That

Returning to the Real World (read: work and home life responsibilities) after a few days in a house where you can just relax, not have to worry about cleaning, and concentrate on your daughter and other family members is stressful. I'm ready for a post-vacation vacation! Preferably to somewhere warm and beautiful. . . .

Interesting piece from Onnesha Roychoudhuri, Books after Amazon, in the Boston Review here. You'll want to go to your nearest independent bookstore, or directly to a small publisher, after reading this unflattering portrayal of Barnes & Noble, Borders, Wal-Mart, Target, and, especially, Jeff Bezos and Amazon.

The conclusion:

Cheap books are easy on our wallets, but behind the scenes publishers large and small have been deeply undercut by the rise of large retailers and predatory pricing schemes. Unless publishers push back, Amazon will take the logic of the chains to its conclusion. Then publishers and readers will finally know what happens when you sell a book like it’s a can of soup.

A special thanks as we start a new year to everyone who takes the time to read my blog and, most of all, to those who post their comments in response. As much as I always say I write this blog for myself, I appreciate the human interaction and the cyber-friendships I've made a great deal. Yes, I'm a blog addict (both writing my blog and reading others' blogs), and I say it loud and proud!!

Hope Day 4 of 2011 is treating you well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!