The Messenger


Yes, I'm slightly behind here, but I finally saw The Messenger (2009), starring Ben Foster, Woody Harrelson, and Samantha Morton last weekend when we had a free preview of TMC.

Foster, who has very eclectic taste in the roles he selects (and always shines), plays Staff Sergeant Will Montgomery, recovering from active-duty wounds and now assigned to the Casualty Notification Team. Harrelson plays Captain Tony Stone, Montgomery's partner and trainer for his new role in notifying Army personnel's next-of-kin of the death. Morton plays one of the people notified about the death of her loved one, and she becomes much more than that to Montgomery.

This is easily one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. There isn't a single misstep in casting, not even down to the smallest role. The one point someone might see as a negative, although I didn't, is there isn't a lot happening in the way of action or a plot for this movie. It's more of a "slice of life" and dealing with reality kind of movie.

As an aside, part of the reason I decided to watch the movie, in addition to liking Foster, had to do with a conversation with one of my sisters over Christmas. She spent some time with her husband's grandma, who was talking about the death of her husband in World War II. Someone came to tell her there was a telegram coming for her, and she had her brother drive her to the office, knowing all along it would be a death notification.

As unimaginably horrible as being part of the Casualty Notification Team must be, how much kinder to at least have the human interaction now.

If you've seen The Messenger, what did you think?

Comments

sapphireblue said…
It's a movie that is very necessary for remembering that puts a human face on war.
StephanieD said…
I haven't seen or heard of this movie but thank you for letting me know about it. Sounds worthy of my 2 1/2 hours.
@sapphireblue--Very true. And extremely well done, too.

@StephanieD--I hope you let me know what you think if you watch the movie. Worth seeing!

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!