Walk on the Wild Side by Christine Warren


Although you're probably wondering if I temporarily quit reading, I didn't. I've been wading my way through re-reading books on my shelves in order to decide which ones to donate or give to a friend. Finished with that, I'm now working my way through the TBR pile, which means back to more book blogging.

I just finished Walk on the Wild Side by Christine Warren (2008), number six in her Others Series. This is a purchase I'm not sure why I made because I kept bypassing reading the book, and I can still only generate a so-so now.

Southern belle Kitty survives a horrific car crash, only to shift into a lion as a result of the traumatic experience. The problem? Raised by her human mother's family, she had no idea her biological father is actually a werelion/Leo. Not just any Leo, of course, but the Felix, or head, of a clan.

Kitty travels to Vegas, her father's home, to learn more about her Leo side and how to control shifts, fearing that she could accidentally harm someone. She's met at the airport by Max, sexy second-in-command, and Felix-in-waiting, to her father.

As much as it was supposed to be lust at first sight, I didn't really feel the chemistry between Kitty and Max, and I felt pretty blah, overall, about both of them as characters, as well.

As seems to be the rule with series books and me these days, I didn't find this entry anywhere near as engaging as the first two or three books in the series, either. I'm just not much of a series reader, I guess, though I do think most authors have a letdown in their series from Book Four on, too.

My other two complaints about the book have nothing to do with the actual story and are outside of Warren's control.

First of all, the back of the book talks about a Marcus, and he's called Max all the way until the reveal at almost the end of the book that Marcus is his given name. Plus, his last name is spelled Stuart and Stewart, leaving me thinking they had his name wrong for most of the book! Very distracting.

Secondly, the ebook/NOOKbook ($7.99) is actually more expensive than the paperback ($7.83) now. That's beyond ridiculous when comparing the costs of traditional publishing and epublishing.

If you're interested in reading more about Warren's Others Series, visit her author site here.

My overall personal rating of Walk on the Wild Side is a C+.

Comments

StephanieD said…
It's those little details that irk me too. They distract me from the story. Maybe someone should have edited the book more thoroughly?
I always catch the typos and missing words, etc., too, which is annoying. There doesn't seem to be much money or time spent in the way of proofing or editing these days.

It's sad.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures