This and That


Maya says I'm always posting photos of her and the dogs to the blog, but no photos of me. Um, could that be becaause I hate having my picture taken?? Maya snapped this photo of us yesterday on my phone camera, so this photo's being posted for her.

I added a couple more challenges to my 2011 list--Jewish Literature Challenge and Wish I'd Read That Challenge. You can head straight to the blogs hosting those challenges, as well as the one for the East and Southeast Asia Challenge, by clicking on the corresponding buttons on my sidebar.

I'm excited to hit January 1 and the chance to get started on all three reading challenges!

WARNING: Delving into religion. . . .

Did you see the essay from Ricky Gervais, Why I Do Not Believe in God, in the Wall Street Journal? Brief section that I quite like:

As an atheist, I see nothing "wrong" in believing in a God. I don't think there is a God, but belief in him does no harm. If it helps you in any way, then that's fine with me. It's when belief starts infringing on other people's rights that it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a God. I would just rather you didn't kill people who believe in a different god, say. Or stone someone to death because your rule book says their sexuality is immoral. It's strange that anyone who believes that an all-powerful, all-knowing, omniscient power responsible for everything would also want to judge and punish people for what they are.

If you read the essay, you then need to read Gervais' more recent blog postings, which contain more about the essay. Actually, his entire blog, much of which is very funny, is worth a read. There's just something about English humor that makes you feel more intelligent as you're laughing along.

[I'll note that I have serious issues with organized religion--all of them. Women don't tend to fare well in the Big Three, for certain, and I definitely can't support the way many people use their religion to support judging/condemning others. I like the idea of treating others with kindness and respect, regardless of how their beliefs differ from mine, and I just ask the same in return.]

Comments

sapphireblue said…
Amen sister. I have an issue with the big 3 too.
Loretta Nyhan said…
Thanks for the links! Funny and thought provoking!
StephanieD said…
I love that picture of you and Maya! Such love and happiness between the two of you.

I will have to read that essay in its entirety. So far, what I've read makes sense. If only everyone felt that way.
Claudia said…
Cute picture of ytou and Maya! ah! I have that same problem too! Maybe I should make that one of my resolutions more pictures of me on my blog! Happy New year!

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures