Stolen by Lucy Christopher


I actually read Stolen by Lucy Christopher (2010) last month, and I couldn't quite get my mind around what I wanted to write in the blog posting because the ending bothers me. Usually, if I don't like an ending, I don't care for the book, no matter how much the earlier portions may have appealed. In this case, it isn't so much dislike for the ending as wanting something different.

Gemma is a sixteen-year-old drugged and abducted from Bangkok Airport while on a stopover for a trip with her parents to Vietnam. Her abductor, Ty, is a stalker, obsessed with the unaware Gemma for six years, who takes her to the isolated Australian Outback. (Yes, it bothers me that he first became interested in her when she was ten.)

Written as a journal or really long letter from Gemma to Ty, we go through the full range of emotions along with Gemma--terror, the need to survive and escape, and a form of pity and almost identification with Ty. For Ty isn't entirely incorrect in thinking that he's saving Gemma from a life in which she doesn't really fit--and that the two are more alike than they are different.

The book is almost G-rated in certain ways, despite being about a stalker kidnapping. Ty wants Gemma to love him, which is entirely different than taking someone for sexual/rape/domination purposes.

While still not being completely satisfied with the ending, I certainly enjoyed the view of Gemma.

I'd be really interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has read the book.

My overall personal rating of Stolen is a B+.

Comments

sapphireblue said…
It does sound like an interesting book. In the same vein, I read a fiction book in Jr. High that was a little similar, called the Girl in the Box by Ouida Sebestyan where a girl is kidnapped and uses a typewriter as journal during her capture. You might be interested in reading that book.
That does look really interesting (and sad) from what I read on Barnes & Noble's site. I'll definitely have to read it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Crystal said…
I've heard about this book several times and each time the question comes up, does this story romanticize kidnapping?

I haven't read the book for myself yet, but it's definitely a good one for discussion.

It seems to me that there are a lot of books out there that are glorifying creepers (let's face it, Edward was a total creeper) and that in and of itself is creepy.
@Crystal--I'll say right from the start that it was a much gentler, kinder kidnapping than I'd ever expect a real-life one to be. He comes across as more socially awkward than psychopathic/sociopathic. More of a fairy tale imaging, like Beauty & the Beast, say.

I think she isn't really sure how she feels about him as her story unfolds, and the author does a good job of conveying that to the reader.

More on this in a posting soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!