Lies We Tell Ourselves

Penelope Trunk's blog posting today is about the biggest lie we tell ourselves. According to her, "The biggest lie we tell ourselves is that meditating is not a high priority."

That wasn't quite what I expected to read.

I have two nominations for the biggest lie we tell ourselves. (I'm seemingly incapable of limiting myself to one of anything. I have two favorite colors, numerous favorite books and movies, two favorite holidays, two favorite numbers, etc. Why start limiting now?)

The biggest lie we tell ourselves is that we have time later to do x, y, z. No one really knows how much time s/he has, and I think we're incapable of truly putting our minds around the idea of our own mortality--or that of those we love.

The biggest lie we tell ourselves is that whatever we really want to do is somehow okay, even if we've judged others harshly for the same decisions and actions in the past. For example, someone might denounce adultery to the winds until such time as that person finds him/herself married yet "in love" with someone else. Then it becomes "take love wherever you find it."

My question to you: What do you think is the biggest lie (or lies) we tell ourselves?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!