Jane by April Lindner


I'm not usually a fan of reimaginings of the classics, especially those I actually appreciated reading, but April Lindner manages to make Jane (2010) a very engaging modern take on Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.

Jane Moore, age nineteen, needs a nanny job because her parents' death leaves her unable to afford the tuition at Sarah Lawrence. Her older brother and sister are, at best, simply horrid, and she's alone in the world.

In his own way, her new employer, legendary rock musician Nico Rathburn, is also alone in the world--alone, yet covered with responsibilities.

You can certainly see the appeal of an intelligent, quiet, unassuming girl for a rock star with serious personal issues, as well as the appeal of the mysterious, brooding bad boy for the girl. They have definite chemistry, and they complement each other.

From Kindle location 1060-1068

[Jane to Nico] "What's your single trait?"

"It's changed over the years. I started out"--he snapped air quotes with his fingers--"'Wild.' Then it morphed into 'Tortured.' And now, I'm 'Repentant.' Don't look at me like that. You know what I have to be repentant about. I assume a smart girl like you did her research before moving into the infamous rock star's house."

"I did read up on you."

"So then you know about my bad-boy days--the mountains of coke I hoovered up my nose. The alcohol and the women. I'm surprised you were to willing come here."

"I'm not afraid of you, Mr. Rathburn," I told him. "Besides, cocaine and women--isn't that just what rock stars do?"


True to the heart of the original, there are a few slight changes. For example, Nico's daughter is definitely his biological daughter because, really, what millionaire rock star wouldn't do DNA testing now to ensure he wasn't raising someone else's child?

Overall, though, there certainly aren't any surprises if you've read the original. And, frankly, if you haven't, please do. There's magic in those pages, though Jane also has its share of reflected charm.

My overall personal rating of Jane is a B+.

Comments

StephanieD said…
I love re-imaginings and this one re-imagines a classic ripe with possibilities. I love the cover too!
I love the cover, too, and it's exactly right for the book.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!