A Good Fall by Ha Jin


Maybe my expectations were too high because I enjoyed his collection of stories in The Bridegroom so much, but Ha Jin's A Good Fall (2009) sorely disappointed.

A Good Fall contains stories about Chinese immigrants making their way in the United States. I'd love to tell you about my favorite of the stories, but I really didn't find even one that I gave more than an "okay." I even started to fall asleep while reading, which never happens to me.

Jin's tales set in China seem, at least to me, to have more insight and passion than these stories set in the U.S. These characters aren't going to stay in my mind, and I don't really care what happened to them either before or after the brief slice of life portrayed within each story.

My overall personal rating of A Good Fall is a C.

Comments

StephanieD said…
"Jin's tales set in China seem, at least to me, to have more insight and passion than these stories set in the U.S."

That's the way I feel about some authors, like Allende and Lisa See. I prefer their novels which are not set in the U.S. - they seem more vibrant and interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!