Nevermore by Kelly Creagh


I've always had a soft spot for Edgar Allan Poe, so I was pretty excited to read Nevermore by Kelly Creagh (2010). Unfortunately, though probably not too surprisingly, reading something by Poe is actually way more intriguing than reading this book.

Isobel is a member of the cheer team and part of the It crowd (or crew, as she calls it). I found her not in the least bit interesting or riveting, as I really wanted her to be, and Varen, Goth guy partnered with her for their English project, is only slightly more interesting. He's just a little too wimpy for me.

Regardless of my feelings on the characters, the story does progress to include an alternate reality, one created around Poe's short story, The Masque of the Red Death. There's plenty of confusion and betrayal, some intentional and some not, thrown into the mix in the alternate world.

The ending very much leaves the reader hanging in anticipation of the sequel. Well, the majority of readers, who appear to love this story, anyway, based on other blog reviews I've read, though I don't actually plan to read the sequel. I'd rather read Poe, even if I'm in the minority on this one.

The author's site is actually more interesting to me than the book.

My overall personal rating of Nevermore is a C+.

Comments

StephanieD said…
When I first heard of this book, I was very intrigued the Poe aspect, like you. I'm disappointed that the story didn't rise to the premise. I'll take your suggestion and read something by Poe instead.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures