Easy A

I had so much fun watching the new teen movie, Easy A, on Friday evening. Emma Stone is great to watch, and how could I not like a movie referencing Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, my all-time favorite book?

My favorite parts included a shout-out to the leading men in the 1980s teen movies, a section showing what Stone's character actually did on the weekend she supposedly lost her virginity to a guy in community college, and pretty much every scene with her parents (played superbly by Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci).

There were a few moments that didn't seem terribly realistic, and Amanda Bynes as the leader of a group of high school "Jesus Freaks" is over-the-top campy when a more subtle approach would have been chilling and played better.

Overall, though, if you enjoyed those 1980s movies like Say Anything, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, etc., you should enjoy Easy A, too.

Maya's take-away from the movie, "You should be who you are and not worry about what other people think about you." In some ways, my job is done. . . .

Comments

elle said…
I was surprised to find Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson in this movie; now I'm reconsidering my plan of waiting for this flick to be on DVD. Plus, I'm growing to like Emma Stone (though I can't seem to stand Penn Badgely) : I suppose one out of three ain't bad :-)
@elle--If it helps, the Penn Badgely role is pretty small--I promise!! This is definitely an Emma Stone movie.

I laughed a lot, and I plan to go again while it's still in theaters.

If you go, I hope you let me know what you think!
Lani Woodland said…
I want to see this movie. It looks so funny! I enjoyed your review. :)
StephanieD said…
Someone said that Easy A was Hawthorne remade ala Clueless which is a fetching combination! And the comparison with those 80s movies you mentioned is just the nudge I needed.
Micaela said…
i saw the previews when we went and saw "going the distance" (loved it!!) and thought it looked so cute. I'll have to see it and yes- love Stanley Tucci.

But can anything be as good as 16 Candles?!

oh Jake Ryan.... ;)


ps. got your sweet card today- made me SO happy! xoxo i hope the mug didn't break!
@Lani--Highly recommended. My best friend and I both laughed a lot, and we don't always find the same things funny. ;)

@StephanieD--I also heard it referenced as sharp like Heathers, which is true, though not so dark.

@Micaela--I know; Stanley Tucci is so sexy. He also plays a really great dad in this film.

And the mug arrived completely safe. And thanks again for the great package of surprises!!

Can't wait to hear what all of you think after you see the movie!!

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!