Still Missing by Chevy Stevens


So it's taken me until December--four months since I got home--to even try this therapy stuff again. I'd almost resigned myself to just staying screwed up, but the idea of living the rest of my life feeling this way. . . Your writing on your Web site was sort of funny, for a shrink, and you looked kind--nice teeth, by the way. Even better, you don't have a bunch of letters that mean God only knows what after your name. I don't want the biggest and the best. That just means a bigger ego and an even bigger bill. I don't even mind driving an hour and a half to get here. Gets me out of Clayton Falls, and so far I haven't found any reporters hiding in my back seat.

So reads an early paragraph [Kindle location 58-62] in the first section of Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (2010).

Our narrator, Annie O'Sullivan, who pulled me into her story and wouldn't let go, is a nice, regular thirty-something real estate agent with the usual mother/boyfriend/work-life balance issues until the day she gets kidnapped from an open house.

Then, to say a living nightmare unfolds in the following sixteen months, isn't an exaggeration. Since Annie is telling the story from the vantage point of looking backwards and describing what happened to her new therapist, we see lots of Annie's personality shining through while also feeling some of her anguish, shock, and surprise as events happened as our own.

I really don't want to say anything specific about what happens in the book because, truly, just when I thought the situation couldn't get any worse, something else either happened or became revealed. Very suspenseful, and I didn't stop reading until I came to the end of the story--and then I just wanted to read more about Annie and what happens next!

You can learn more at the author's site here. I already joined the mailing list so that I won't miss Stevens' next effort.

My overall personal rating of Still Missing is an A-.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!