The Last Airbender

Herb (my husband), Maya (my six-year-old daughter), and I are huge, huge fans of the cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Did I say "huge" with enough emphasis there?

I can't even describe how excited we were to learn about plans for a movie version. Then we had to wait for a couple of years--seems like three years, even. The wait seemed long.

We finally saw The Last Airbender last night.

Despite going in with really low expectations after reading horrible reviews, we enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I don't know if being fans of the series added to our enjoyment level, but we certainly rank this as at least average compared to other movies we've seen. I read a review that already deemed this the worst movie of 2010--OUCH! I really don't agree.

My only complaints, moreso minor whining, about the movie are (1) the pronunciation of names is different than on the t.v. series (why do that??) and (2) they went with a multiracial look for the groups (Air Nomads, Water Tribe, Earth Kingdom, and Fire Nation) instead of all characters being Asian (as in Tibetan/Chinese). Those were distracting changes more than anything, and likely not an issue for someone who isn't a fan of the series. I do personally find the political statement more compelling when all of the groups look essentially the same, though, as opposed to the multiracial effect.

Note: I've read that the 3D version is horrible and blurry. We went to the 2D version, so I can't comment on the quality of the 3D format.

Have you seen the cartoon series or the movie? What do you think?

Comments

sapphireblue said…
We like the series too. I read the bad reviews, but I'm still willing to watch the movie.
Rachel said…
I love the show and i love the movie xD it is not bad and i hope the next one will bring MNS back from all the hate rid he is getting i really love his movies

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!