The Walk by Richard Paul Evans


The fourth selection in my list for Misfit Salon's Reading Challenge is The Walk by Richard Paul Evans (2010). I wouldn't normally read something by Evans because I have him placed in my mind as one of those feel-good, religion-pushing-through-fiction (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints/Mormons, in this case) authors. I'm also not a fan of series books, and this is the first in a five-book series, presumably coming every April for five years.

My mom liked the book well enough to loan me the copy she borrowed from the public library, though, and this fit into my personal rules for the Reading Challenge, so off I went. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Alan Christoffersen is a sort of modern-day Job. During a six-week period, he loses his beloved wife McKale, the advertising business to which he has devoted his life, and their home. Unlike Job, he didn't have children (leaving his loss as the regret that he kept putting off having children every time McKale brought up the subject), and he's left with some money as the result of asking his one faithful employee/one friend to sell his remaining personal and business items online.

Feeling lost and angry with God, Alan uses a shoestring to determine the farthest point in the continental United States from his home in Seattle. So begins his journey to walk (not hitchhike, but literally walk the entire way) to Key West, Florida, over the course of the five books.

This series promises to be a climb from the deepest of grief to, I suspect, a sense of acceptance and peace. I plan to be along for the journey, as Alan meets people who impact his life, and vice versa, in unexpected ways.

You can learn more about the series and the author's other, phenomenally-selling books at his site here.

My overall personal rating of The Walk is a B.

Comments

StephanieD said…
"I have him placed in my mind as one of those feel-good, religion-pushing-through-fiction (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints/Mormons, in this case) authors." - Me too!
I still think we're assessing him accurately, though I'll note that, at least so far, I didn't feel him pushing a specific religion.

I'll continue to read the other books in the series from the library and not give him my money, for whatever that's worth.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!