Never After



Never After (2009) contains four short stories from the authors Laurel K. Hamilton, Yasmine Galenorn, Marjorie M. Liu, and Sharon Shinn that turn the traditional fairy-tale romance on its head. No weak princesses waiting to be rescued from an enchanted sleep or a life of servitude here. Nope, these princesses are taking chances and forging their own paths in this world.

Can He Bake a Cherry Pie? by Laurel K. Hamilton, where the princess goes off on a mission with the likely ending of death in order to save a prince who turns out to be less-than-wonderful, and The Tangleroot Palace by Marjorie M. Liu, where the princess faces the enchanted forest, were my favorites. With both princesses hoping to escape arranged marriages, there's a common theme in my favorites.

I'm not a reader of any of the authors in the collection, so I can't say how these short stories compare to their regular works. I definitely liked the alternative, female-centric take on the princess story, though.

My overall personal rating of Never After is a B.

Comments

StephanieD said…
I love that phrase "never after." I might just make that personal motto!

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures