Darkness Everlasting by Alexandra Ivy



Thanks to my friend Kym for the birthday money to spend at Amazon, I backed up to read Darkness Everlasting (2008), Book 3 from Alexandra Ivy's Guardians of Eternity series.

Darcy Smith, raised in a series of (human) foster homes, has always known she's different than everyone around her. She's about to learn exactly how different after being kidnapped by vampire Anasso (master/king) Styx, who provides entry into an entire world of vampires, weres, and assorted other demons that Darcy didn't even know existed.

For his part, Styx kidnaps Darcy only because he needs a bargaining tool in the stand-off between the vampires and the were(wolves). Since were King Salvatore tracked the girl, he must have some reason to want her. Styx enters the situation perfectly willing to trade his captive for what he wants from Salvatore.

Silly vampire doesn't know about love, does he? And he goes way under, way faster than Darcy.

I didn't find quite the level of chemistry between Darcy and Styx that I expected, and Salvatore never made the running for her attentions. No exciting love triangle with a woman torn between two strong options here.

As a matter of fact, I'm really interested to see how Salvatore changes in the next book in the series, Book 6--Beyond the Darkness, because I doubt Darcy's sister Harley will be very impressed by someone who wants her to deliver a litter or two for him to ensure the survival of the werewolves before he turns her out to enjoy her choice of the rest of the males in the pack. No, looking ahead to spending centuries as a breeder doesn't sound terribly appealing.

I know, I know--this is a romance novel, and Salvatore's going to forget all his idiot ways and turn monogamous for his fated mate; I'm just going to need some convincing on this change as the reader.

Again, while not the best book in the series to date, fans of Ivy's Guardians of Eternity series should be satisfied with Darkness Everlasting.

Learn more about the series at the author site here.

My overall personal rating of Darkness Everlasting is a B.

Comments

StephanieD said…
Now that is a true friend - Amazon gift cards rule! I got some Amazon money for my birthday and I am so giddy that I can't seem to make up my mind on what to spend it on. Too many choices!
I was happily surprised with my Amazon gift card. I also bought a book about the John Hughes films that I had on my wish list, so I'll be reviewing that soon, too.

Good luck with making your own birthday selections!!

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures