Lead Me On by Victoria Dahl


I didn't realize at first that Lead Me On by Victoria Dahl (2010) is actually the third, and final installment, in her Tumble Creek series. Fortunately, I don't think I missed anything essential by not reading the earlier books, Talk Me Down and Start Me Up.

Jane Morgan seems like a quiet, efficient secretary for an architect. And along comes "W. Chase," known as Chase, a chance to have one birthday night with a bad boy. And he's fine with bringing a little wild side to her life.

However, Jane actually has an entirely different birth name and a youth spent on a path of self-destruction. Having left that period behind, she doesn't have time for someone like Chase--or the way she assumes Chase happens to be.

I'll admit the story grated on my nerves more than a little because, like most true converts in life, Jane, having left her wild days firmly in her past, is extremely judgmental and self-conscious about the thoughts of others to the point of treating her family very badly. I had a hard time "liking" Jane, even as she grew and changed through the course of the book.

Also, Chase isn't a bad guy in any sense of the word. I guess I was expecting more of a lone wolf, bad-ass from the description on the back cover: tattoo-covered biceps, steel-toed boots and unadulterated sex appeal? The man blows things up for a living! No, he's actually a nice guy with his own business and a troubled father he does his best to help, but Jane's ashamed to be seen with him. Huh??

Yeah, I just didn't find snobby Jane quite right for Chase, a good catch by most sane women's standards.

Learn more at the author's site here.

My overall personal rating of Lead Me On is a C.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures