Valentine's Day Movie

For purposes of full disclosure, I'll let you know that Love Actually is one of my all-time favorite movies. Maya and I absolutely love Love Actually. Even though I went into Valentine's Day on Saturday knowing this movie couldn't possibly match the magic of Love Actually, I still managed to be disappointed.

Valentine's Day doesn't even attempt to hide being a knock-off of Love Actually, from the cast of stars to the surprising connections between various characters and their story lines.

Unfortunately, the "sincerest form of flattery" doesn't necessarily lead to quality.

One of my biggest complaints is that there are so many different stories going in Valentine's Day that some of them aren't really developed at all. There just isn't enough time for everyone.

And the movie isn't funny. Not at all. And there isn't even much in the way of real surprises. Sigh.

Without providing any spoilers, here's a brief list of my views:

**Favorite Couple: Shirley Maclaine and Hector Elizondo (Could have used more time with them, though they also had my favorite scene in the movie.)

**Favorite Character: Ashton Kutcher (No one is more shocked than I am because I actually made a gagging sound to Maya during the previews for his next movie, Killers.)

**Sweetest Valentines: Julia Roberts and her valentine (Can't say more than that without revealing too much.)

**Huge Miscasts: Jessica Biel (Can't get a guy and has a candy problem? Seriously??) and Taylor Swift (Seems like a nice girl, and she should have "played" herself for this role.) [Note: Love Actually didn't have a single miscast.]

I think someone in the writing group definitely needed to spend some time on some phone sex lines. Those snippets from the movie were ridiculous.

If you've followed the pre-movie release controversy about the gay couple, don't go to the movie to see them. You'll get three seconds of them actually in the same scene.

Given the option, rent Love Actually if you haven't already seen it instead of going to Valentine's Day.

My overall personal ratings are an A for Love Actually and a C for Valentine's Day.

Comments

Caitie F said…
You just made me want to go see Love, Actually again!
StephanieD said…
I skipped this one and saw Wolfman instead.

But I agree about Love Actually - fabulous movie!
Caitie F--As you can see from my Tuesday posting, my daughter and I watched Love Actually again on DVD last night. Such a great movie!!

StephanieD--I so-o-o-o want to see Benicio Del Toro's movie, but I think it looks too scary for my daughter. Maya's only five. I hope to get there another day with my best friend.
Keli said…
So wanted to see this movie. But can't say that I am going too now. Guess I will have to Redbox it (how bad can it be for only a buck?).

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures