Love Me to Death by Maggie Shayne



Twenty-two years ago four teenage boys were convicted of a young girl's murder. Now, in the form of a beautiful woman, the "victim" is seeking vengeance. And only one man dares to dig into the past to uncover the secrets. . . and set her free.

I admit the blurb for Love Me to Death by Maggie Shayne (2010) on the back of Heart of Darkness left me a good deal short of excited to read the story. I bought the collection entirely for the Gena Showalter piece.

Imagine my surprise to find myself very impressed with Shayne's story. My only complaint? This is a plot that would lend itself very well to a full-length book. I actually wish she had chosen to go that route instead, though I definitely enjoyed the short story.

What really happened on the night of the fire all those years ago? Who is this young woman, Sara, who looks so much like Sierra, the young woman who died in the fire? And can Sara help right the wrongs of Sierra's past while forming a relationship with one of young men, now grown and living a life based on making amends for what he thinks happened the night of the fire? The exact young man who had a crush on Sierra all those years ago, even.

We don't get all of the answers I wanted--another reason to make the story into a full-length novel.

My overall personal rating of Love Me to Death is a B.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures