I Kissed a Zombie and I Liked It by Adam Selzer



In I Kissed a Zombie and I Liked It by Adam Selzer (2010), Alley Rhodes is an intelligent, witty high school senior so ready to leave her life in Iowa. Des Moines is too small to contain her hopes and dreams, or so she thinks, and she certainly doesn't have time to date a local boy, at least not one without plans to leave after graduation.

Then Alley sees Doug at a show, where he sings a couple of songs with the band. He understands and shares her interest in Cole Porter and Leonard Cohen, and Alley the Ice Queen finds herself seriously interested in dating for the first time.

Imagine her surprise to learn that Doug isn't the Goth she thinks--he's a zombie. That makes her the second student in her school to fall for a post-human since Michelle is already dating Freddie, a vampire.

What can happen between a girl with plans that don't involve turning post-human and a zombie? And how much will Alley grow, change, and learn about herself just from opening herself to the possibility of a relationship with Doug?

I'm going to forgive Selzer his snarky Iowa remarks just because most teenagers do think wherever they are is the worst place to live. Everywhere else seems so much better and more glamorous, despite the fact that life is pretty much the same wherever you happen to be in the United States.

Check out the blog, the location of the banner above, here to learn more.

My overall personal rating of I Kissed a Zombie and I Liked It is a B.

Comments

StephanieD said…
This looks like fun! I was reading the author's webpage and I was surprised to read that most people don't get that it's a parody because of all the paranormal romance out there.
And I read the book before looking at the site, so imagine my surprise to see that I fall into the majority that didn't identify the book as a parody at all!!

I did enjoy the book--campy and snarky, yet definitely a strong female character.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!