Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian



I just read, and thoroughly enjoyed, Lara Adrian's Veil of Midnight (2009), the fifth book in The Midnight Breed Series. I really thought I had read one or more of the earlier books from the series, but, after reading this one, I don't think so. Guess that gives me something to look forward to in terms of reading the first four books and the sixth book.

Nikolai is a member of a class of warrior vampires, and his latest mission involves visiting a Gen One vampire, one of less than two dozen left, in Montreal because someone is targeting the Gen One vampires for assassination. (Gen One vampires are the result of the original alien males raping and impregnating human females when they reach Earth. I have to admit the "alien origination" for vampires isn't one of my favorite concepts, but Adrian works the idea well enough that I'm okay.)

Renata is what you might call a bodyguard, though slave is more accurate, for the Gen One vampire. With a rare psychic ability that temporarily disables most vampires, she's a Breedmate. Not strong enough to disable a Gen One, she's also bound by her maternal-like love for Mira, a young child also kept on the estate for her particular psychic ability. Everyone who looks into Mira's eyes sees a snippet of his/her own future.

Nikolai and Renata's attraction is as hot and instant as it is impossible. And, when Mira gets sold, Renata has no choice other than to go to him for help in saving her. Can the three build a life together?

If you're not completely sick of reading about vampires by now, Adrian provides a nice take on the currently popular theme. Although I felt okay about reading just this fifth book, I think I would have benefited from reading all of the books in the proper order--more of an overall picture of the vampire society and the power struggles.

To learn more about The Midnight Breed Series, go to the author's site here.

My overall personal rating of Veil of Midnight is a B+.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!