Books as Gifts

Did you give or receive any books as gifts over this holiday season? Were you thrilled to receive a gift card from your favorite bookstore or online book retailer?

Books make wonderful, personalized gifts if you know your friend or family member well enough to make a selection--and know they haven't already purchased the title for themselves!

For 2009:

My daughter, Maya, gave her godmother Diana Gabaldon's An Echo in the Bone in September as an early Christmas gift because we're kind that way--not wanting to make her wait to read her favorite series. She already has a long enough wait between the release of titles of The Outlander series.

Shockingly, I only gave Maya Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas by Jane O'Connor this year. We buy books year-round, though, so maybe that isn't such a shock to only give her one book at the holidays.

I'm giving my goddaughter the latest in the PostSecret series, PostSecret: Confessions on Life, Death, and God from Frank Warren whenever we finally get around to gathering to celebrate. (I hope I'm correct in thinking she never reads my book blog. If not, oops--the surprise factor just disappeared!)

I gratefully "sold" Mitch Albom's Have a Little Faith: A True Story and Anne Lamott's Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith to my sister to give to our mom. Mom requested the Albom book, and I think she'll enjoy the Lamott book. Since 2009 was my year to find a ton of gifts "perfect" for Mom, I'm happy my sister needed suggestions.

Only the PostSecret book interests me personally from this list.

I hope you share any titles you purchased or received. I always enjoy knowing what others are reading or buying for their loved ones.

Comments

StephanieD said…
The only book I received was one I asked for - a travel guide to Spain.

I gave plenty of books though: The Velveteen Rabbit and two Disney princess books to my niece; Olive Kitteredge to my mom; Say You're One of Them to my dad; and a photography book to my cousin. And I'm pretty sure I bought books for myself...
Oh, yes; I'm pretty sure I bought some books for myself, as well! Good point.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures