This and That

Am I the only one not planning to see the movie adaptation of Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones? Already not brave enough to see the movie version of a book so wonderful and resonating, my decision cemented after reading that (a) the movie is really about the father's perspective and (b) the details of the rape and murder are glossed over because director Peter Jackson wanted to make a movie he and wife/screenwriter collaborator Fran Jackson felt comfortable having their teenage daughter watch. Huh?

Under those circumstances, I don't see how the story can be told in a manner fitting the novel.

If you see the movie The Lovely Bones, please let me know what you think, especially if you have read the book.

Anyone get a Nook yet? What do you think??

Look here to see Amazon's Editors' Picks for Top 10 Romances of 2009. You can find their overall Top 100 Editors' Picks here.

Amazon's number one selection in the romance category is Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh, which I haven't read, yet seems to be another urban fantasy. I'm getting more than a little tired of these urban fantasy novels with little true romance hogging into the romance category--ditto for the ones that are 95% suspense, 5% romance. When I read a romance, I want to read a romance.

Anxiously awaiting these January 2010 releases:

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova (I didn't care for The Historian, but Misfit Salon's review has me intrigued.)

Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom

At the Duke's Pleasure by Tracy Anne Warren

The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris

Ecstasy Unveiled (The Demonica Series) by Larissa Ione

To Tame a Dangerous Lord (Courtship Wars Series) by Nicole Jordan

Comments

StephanieD said…
Oh, I do hope you get to read The Swan Thieves!

I don't know if I'll go see The Lovely Bones movie. Although I thought the book was excellent, reading it was an exhausting experience.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!