Mr Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange



Despite the fantastic cover and the equally fantastic idea of the beloved Mr. Darcy reimagined as a vampire, I really knew that I should stay away from Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange. With my deep love for Pride & Prejudice and vampires, I knew only disappointment waited for me.

The book opens on the wedding day of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy and Jane Bennet and Mr. Bingley. Then the couples part ways, with the story following Mr. and Mrs. Darcy on their wedding trip. A trip in which Mr. Darcy doesn't, ahem, visit Elizabeth's room. At all.

When I reached 36% of the story on my Kindle, still with no resolution about the sex issue, I was ready to scream about the lack of story action on all fronts, though especially involving their physical relationship. Would the Elizabeth I know so well from not only Jane Austen's story, but also various film adaptations, have waited and waited and waited and waited without asking Darcy what was wrong? If nothing else, even considering the times, couldn't she have noted that having children would be a little difficult under the circumstances?

Where was the spark seen in Austen's original story? Where was the spunky, wonderful Elizabeth? The brooding, romantic Darcy? Nowhere to be found.

If I had read this story about two completely unknown characters, instead of based around two of my favorite literary figures, I might have found the book tolerable. Slow, but tolerable. Instead, I found myself annoyed and disappointed.

Anyone else?

My overall personal rating of Mr. Darcy, Vampyre is a C-.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!