The Great Scot by Donna Kauffman



I purchased The Great Scot by Donna Kauffman during one of those bookstore visits when I wanted a new book or two, yet nothing really caught my attention. Since the cover model is exactly my type, I decided to give this book a try. Then I promptly lost the book in my TBR pile.

Fortunately, I discovered the book again last night and had a very enjoyable read. I'll be trying another Kauffman book again soon.

Erin McGregor does behind-the-scenes work for a romance reality show. One of those Handsome Bachelor chooses from several beautiful women kinds of shows. While in Scotland, she meets widower Dylan Chisholm, owner of a castle (enough said already) and gorgeous. Of course, his castle is the perfect location for the reality show, and cash flow is an issue for Dylan, who doesn't really want to have the show in his home, and the rest of the village.

I don't want to provide any spoilers, but one of my favorite parts of the book is the way that Kauffman handles describing Dylan's marriage. While not the romance of a lifetime, the marriage also wasn't one where the wife was some horrible shrew that he's just lucky had the good grace to die. The marriage is described in much more realistic terms, ones that could apply to many divorces, too.

Here's a short excerpt from p.120:

She haunted his dreams? In a good way? "Dylan--"

He made a guttural noise at the sound of his name that had a little instinctive moan of her own escaping her lips.

"I havena felt a hunger such as this in a very long time. Will ye allow me the pleasure?"

He was asking permission? Did he not realize that a second or two more of his heated whisperings and he could have her naked on the hood of his Jag?


My overall personal rating of The Great Scot is an A-.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures