Much a-Twitter about Alice Hoffman

In terms of full disclosure, when I read something I like by Alice Hoffman, I absolutely love it. When I read something I don't like by Alice Hoffman, I absolutely hate it. I've never found one of her works that I feel even mixed about. I find her writing very uneven, too, leaving a fairly equal number on both sides of the like/hate divide for me.

That being said, and considering how long Hoffman has been "in the business" and how many negative or mixed reviews she must have received in print and on blogs, I was a little shocked to read that she engaged in a rather odd series of postings on Twitter about a review of her latest, The Story Sisters, by Roberta Silman in the Boston Globe. I didn't really find the review in any way objectionable or slanderous, yet you would get that impression from Hoffman's response.

Here are some links to explore:

Jacket Copy Blog on the controversy--The Los Angeles Times
http://tinyurl.com/nl4c2o

Silman's review--The Boston Globe
http://tinyurl.com/m87k6n

What do you think? Did Silman reveal too much of Hoffman's plot? Did Hoffman cross a line of civility in her response to a critical review?

On a related note, I have to admit that I don't really get the appeal of Twitter. I've never used Twitter, but I often read people's Twitter entries posted on the side of their blogs. And I just don't get why I would want to follow someone on Twitter or post my own running commentary on my (generally rather boring) life.

Are you a fan of Twitter? What do you like about it? And have you ever posted anything you later wished you hadn't?

Comments

violetcrush said…
Twitter is very time consuming and really something I cannot afford to do. But I do Twitter occasionally, you get to know bloggers better and you can always raise a doubt and have it answered :)

I think Alice Hoffman attracted more attention to the review than it otherwise would have got. She should have just let it be. But the one thing I didn't like aboutt he review was that it was full of spoilers, that was really wrong.
Thanks for the Twitter comments.

So true about the attention. I wouldn't have ever read the review if I hadn't run across the controversy.

I sometimes struggle with that on my blog. I want to provide enough information on the book, but I don't want to cross the line of telling so much that someone might as well not even read the book. I'm a little surprised that a critical review gave away so much.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!