Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels





Let me just start by saying that Anne Michaels' Fugitive Pieces received many, many awards, including:


A New York Times Notable Book of the Year


Winner of the Lannan Literary Fiction Award


Winner of the Guardian Fiction Award


That being said, I struggled to finish this book, and I wouldn't have kept going accept that I was under the (self-created, erroneous) impression that, at some point, I would learn what happens to Bella, the sister of Jakob Beer, after the Nazis arrive and kill Jakob and Bella's parents. Seven-year-old Jakob escapes, only to be taken from Poland to a Greek island by a geologist who then raises him on the island and, after the war, in Canada.


No, this isn't that kind of a book--you know, the kind with a plot and straightforward storyline. Instead, the reader spends a lot of time reading lovely, descriptive passages having nothing to do with Jakob, really.


Oh, and there's a section at the end of a book about a man who comes to the island seeking the (now deceased) Jakob's lost notebooks. I'm still more than a little confused about why that part's even included.


I'll just note that this is the first item I've deleted from my Kindle immediately after being read. I'll be the first to admit that maybe I just wasn't intelligent enough to appreciate the nuances of the novel. Whatever the cause, this is one I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading.


My overall personal rating of Fugitive Pieces is a D.


Comments

Yvette Kelly said…
Your last paragraph-I also feel that way when I see a book gets an award and then I don't enjoy it.I had that with the one book I read with so many awards and I still feel terrible...

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures