Obsessed by Ted Dekker





p. 200 "You're right to treasure the picture, Stephen," the old man said, turning back. "Wherever she is now, Esther is worth more than all the Stones of David together. Now, there would be an obsession worth dying for, don't you think?"


Stephen felt his face blush, and he shifted his gaze. "I don't know. It's just a picture."





"No. It's an idea. A memory. Perhaps a hope, but not simply a picture. I'm sorry I can't help you find her."





"That's not--."





"Of course it is. If I'm not mistaken, you're quite taken by her, which is understandable. I'm a Jew. I was there. She deserves your obsession, dead or alive. Your obsession gives her life value." Gerik smiled politely and left.





Obsessed by Ted Dekker is a story that moves between two time periods to cover two generations. Martha and Ruth are pregnant women in 1944 in a Nazi concentration camp under the command of a man who drinks the blood of the women he kills as a way to increase his power in a perverted form of religious ritual. The other part of the story is set in 1973, where Martha (going by the name Rachel) has died and left a fortune, including one of the five reputed stones used by David to slay Goliath, to a Holocaust museum. Stephen Friedman learns after her death that he is likely Martha's son David. So begins a trek for him to discover not only the four remaining Stones of David, but also what happened to Ruth's daughter Esther. Along the way, he has to deal with Roth Braun, son of the concentration camp commandant--and just as depraved as his father.





The book kept me reading from beginning to end to learn what happened to Esther, though the level of Stephen/David's interest in her rang a little false to me. I didn't understand why he was so completely enthralled with the idea of her from his first sight of her mother's photo. The book ran a little long in parts, too, especially when Stephen/David made repeated attempts to search the deceased Martha/Rachel's home. The most riveting parts of the book for me were actually the short sections set in the camp in 1944; I would have liked more on that, less on Stephen/David and his search.





My overall personal rating of Obsessed is a B-.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!