Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


"Was I happy with Alex?"

"Obsessed was more like it. But yeah, I saw you happy. Happier than you've been in a really, really long time. With someone you like that much, the lows are as low as the highs are high. Does that make sense?"

"It does. It also makes me sound bipolar."

"Love will do that to a person."

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles is a modern-day romance about two high school seniors from different worlds who fall in love after being partnered in Chemistry class. Alex Fuentes is a Latino Blood from the poor section of town, and Brittany Ellis is the rich blonde who is the most popular girl in school and dating the quarterback.

Each chapter is told from either Brittany or Alex's first-person perspective, so we have plenty of opportunity to see what each lead character is thinking, feeling, and doing. I like having both sides of the story presented simultaneously and very authentically. Alex and Brittany are each able to develop fully for the reader, too, with this format.

Perfect Brittany isn't, of course, living the perfect life, and Alex isn't very happy about being an LB. They have plenty of problems at home, and both are looking for a way to have the future each wants. They have more in common than might be expected, and they overcome outside obstacles and internal conflict to be together.

I love this book. I really enjoyed the alternating viewpoints, the depiction of the relationships outside of their romance, the heat between Alex and Brittany, and the way the story ends. My one complaint, though minor, is that I would have skipped adding the epilogue.

My overall personal rating of Perfect Chemistry is an A-.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures