Evermore by Alyson Noel

Ever since reading the beginning of Evermore by Alyson Noel, courtesy of the author and Free Book Friday Teens, I've literally been counting the days until the February 3 release. I pre-ordered the book online from Barnes & Noble, and I gave a little cheer when I came home from a long day at work yesterday to see The Package. Yeah!

Needless to say, I'm bleary-eyed again from staying up way too late to read this book, the first book in The Immortals series.

Without any spoilers, the basic background is that Ever is a teenager who survives a car accident that kills her parents, sister Riley, and family dog Buttercup. Besides survivor guilt and grief, Ever also has to deal with the fact that she now has psychic abilities, including seeing people's auras and having snapshots of their actions and thoughts, and receives regular visits from her sister's ghost. Combine that with adjusting to a new home and school with her aunt in California, and there's plenty of material for pain and confusion on Ever's part.

Ever goes from being the popular blonde cheerleader when she lived in Oregon, according to conversations between Ever and Riley, to being an outcast dressed in baggy clothes with a Goth girl and a gay boy as her only friends in California.

Enter dreamy guy Damen Auguste, who doesn't have an aura and doesn't display his every thought to Ever! Plus, he's the perfect package--money, independence, style, bit of the mysterious bad boy, and, of course, drop-dead gorgeous. How could a girl not fall for all of that, right?

Well, to be honest, this adult woman reader had more than a few issues with Mr. Running Hot and Cold Auguste. And the mom in me agrees with Ever's assessment that Damen isn't a very good influence on her. Ugh. Not exactly the recipe for romantic excitement for me.

I did love the way Ever's character is drawn, and her interactions with Riley are perfect. I looked forward to Riley's appearances while reading.

Although I didn't enjoy Evermore nearly as well as Noel's Cruel Summer, I still plan to read the next book in the The Immortals series, Blue Moon, coming in August 2009.

My overall personal rating of Evermore is a B.

Comments

Irish said…
I'm glad to see a positive review of this. I popped right over when I say this listed on JKayes YA Challenge Review page. My friend and I saw it in the bookstore over the weekend and we both thought that it sounded really good. She won the rock-paper-scissors draw to see who would take it home first though so I still have a bit of a wait...but its definitely something to look forward to now.
J. Kaye said…
I have this one on the way! I can't wait to read it. There are too many good reviews like this one to pass it up. :)
J. Kaye said…
A question, when you say "the first book in The Immortals series" are you referring to Jennifer Ashley's book?
I was actually a little disapointed in the book after being so excited with the preview chapters. I'm interested to hear what others think.

This new series from Noel, with Evermore as the first book, is also actually called The Immortals.

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Current Little Pleasures