The Year of Readers


I'm joining my second book challenge, called The Year of Readers, which is a lovely concept for combining personal reading with charitable giving.

From the site:

"I love to read. Countries and people open up when I start a book and a story begins. It’s easy for me to pull a new book out of my crowded bookshelves every time I want one but not everyone can just grab books by the handful and choose their next read. For someone who hates to have to wait for books it’s sad to think of someone unable to get a novel when they want to. I feel even worse when I think of people who can’t read or have never had the opportunity to learn how much fun reading can be. Books are one of the simplest luxuries in the world and should be accessible to everyone.

In 2009 I want to spread my love of reading throughout the world. The Year of Readers aims to bring people who enjoy books together to have fun bringing literature into the lives of others. From the 1st January 2009 until 31st of December 2009 I will be running an international read-a-thon that will be open to anyone who reads. It doesn’t matter what kind of books you read or how many you read as long as you’ve got your nose in a book in 2009 you can join in.

The Year of Readers

It’s an easy concept (which is probably why I thought of it). You pick a literary charity that you want to support in 2009. You sign up to be part of The Year of Readers, get people to sponsor you and just start reading whatever you like. If you’re going to read next year why not join and help a bookish charity at the same time?"

Instead of soliciting donations, I plan to donate $1 for every one of my books and 50 cents for every one of my daughter's books read in 2009. My money will go to BooksFirst!, which provides books to schools in need.

If you would like to join, you can reach the site by either clicking on the widget on the sidebar or by using this link:

http://yearofreaders.blogspot.com/

Comments

tanabata said…
Nice to see you're joining in The Year of Readers too. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!